Monday, August 8, 2011

Wisconsin Family Looks for Cause of Patriarch's Bike Fatality

For a Wisconsin man who loved to cycle, safety was a priority, according to his family. So they were shocked when a car accident claimed his life. They're still trying to understand how it could have happened.

He was apparently riding his bicycle in the opposite direction of traffic in Oak Creek one recent July evening. He reportedly did that on purpose, thinking it was safer on the road on which he was riding because it made him more visible to motorists. Sadly, he was involved in just the kind of collision he had hoped to avoid.

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, an 18-year-old motorist struck the man from the opposite lane, causing his fatal injuries. But the man's family has gone to the scene of the accident several times in an attempt to come up with how it could have happened. They're still apparently coming up empty.

The man's daughter says safety was his first priority, and there is no chance he could have veered over into the other lane, as the medical examiner suggested. She says there are no skid marks and the point of impact doesn't make sense for that scenario. That would mean the motorist who struck him would had to have crossed all the way across the opposite lane.

How that could have happened is what they are trying to figure out. The teenage motorist who struck him gave a "very vague" statement of what happened, according to the boyfriend of a family member. Since the investigation is ongoing, police have apparently declined to release the accident report or statements from witnesses.

A reconstruction of the accident is planned by the State Patrol, and perhaps that will lead to some answers.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "Family seeks answers in Oak Creek bike fatality," Tom Held, July 28, 2011

Drunken Driver Puts Wisconsin Construction Workers in Danger

"When you have an impaired driver, you're never too sure what's going to happen after the fact," commented a Wisconsin State Patrol trooper after a drunk driver crashed into a Department of Transportation vehicle at a construction site last week. After crashing into the truck, the drunk driver fled the scene, putting several construction workers and others on the road in danger of being hit.

The incident was reported around 3:30 a.m. on July 29. It is believed that the 21-year-old man who was driving the vehicle at the time of the crash was under the influence. The man was passing through a construction zone near Mooreland Road in the westbound lane of Interstate 94 when he hit the painting truck. The driver proceeded to drive several miles away from the incident before his arrest.

Although no one was seriously injured in the motor vehicle accident, troopers are reminding all drivers on our Wisconsin roads to always be alert of their surroundings, road conditions and other vehicles, especially when passing through construction zones.

Not all motor vehicle accidents can be prevented in Wisconsin, but there are several laws in place in order to help prevent the number of accidents on our roads and to hold drivers accountable in the event that they injure or kill someone in a crash.

For example, speed limits are often reduced in construction zones in order to protect construction crews as they work next to heavy traffic. However, one Wisconsin State Patrol trooper commented after last week's crash that many drivers fail to acknowledge the reduced speed limits and continue to zip past workers at 65 mph. Construction zones often have narrow lanes and if a driver is not paying attention while speeding, he or she could easily lose control of the vehicle.

If construction crews or vehicles are pulled over to the side of the road, drivers are required by Wisconsin traffic laws to move over one lane if they can safely do so in order to avoid an unnecessary collision.

Individuals who fail to follow Wisconsin's traffic laws not only risk getting a ticket if caught by law enforcement, but they also put the lives of others in danger because of their own negligence.

Source:, "Accused Drunken Driver Strikes DOT Painting Truck," 29 July 2011

Monday, July 25, 2011

Personal Injury: Answering Your Legal Questions

I’ve been injured, now what?

If someone else is more at fault for your injury than you are, you may make a claim against that person or business and their insurance company, if any. The type of accident and the cause of the accident may affect whether you are entitled to compensation, as in the following examples:

  • Motor vehicle accidents: Fault or “negligence” is determined by traffic regulations and which driver’s carelessness contributed most to the accident and injuries, including your own conduct such as failure to use seatbelts.
  • Commercial accidents (such as in stores): Injuries are compensable only if caused by an unsafe condition that the owner should have known of, appreciated, and corrected before the accident.
  • Home/farm/apartment/recreation injuries: Renters, owners, or residents may be found liable for injuries they cause by negligent maintenance, oversight, or attacks by pets; however, property owners who permit others to use their land without charge for recreational purposes may be completely immune to any claim for unsafe conditions, however flagrant.
  • Government employees and premises: Injuries caused by negligent public employees or unsafe conditions will be compensated only in limited circumstances and are subject to stringent notice and claim requirements. State, federal, and local governments are given broad latitude to determine most matters involving public safety, including the design and maintenance of roads, parks, and facilities.
  • Workplace injuries: Injuries at work generally are covered by worker’s compensation benefits which compensate for medical expenses, lost wages, and permanent impairments, without regard to fault by anyone. If the accident was caused by someone other than the employer or a co-worker, a fault-based claim can be made that could include damages for pain and suffering in addition to the worker’s compensation benefits.
  • Intentional injuries: Injuries inflicted on purpose by any means are not usually covered by the guilty party’s liability insurance, although the responsible party may be personally liable for such harm.
  • Other accidents: More complicated rules determine if injuries caused by dangerous products, the accumulation of ice or snow, faulty professional services, or public utilities will be compensated. In addition, users of firearms, dog owners, and operators of restaurants, hotels, and public transportation may be liable for injuries they cause because the law imposes special responsibility for these hazards which your attorney can explain in more detail.

Which insurance policies will cover my costs?

Most automobile, homeowners and commercial liability policies contain “medical payments” coverage for medical expenses incurred after an accident without regard to fault. This coverage in auto policies applies to the insured family members and vehicle passengers, while homeowners and commercial policies cover only “others” or visitors to the premises.

Health, worker’s compensation, disability insurance carriers or HMOs usually will pay benefits arising from accidental injuries. However, if your claim against another person succeeds, then the insurance provider will probably require you to repay these benefits to them.

If the accidental injury is primarily your own fault, then only health insurance (such as through your employer), worker’s compensation, or medical payments coverage may apply.

Injuries caused by uninsured drivers are compensated by your own “uninsured motorist” coverage (if you have it) applying the same general rules as insured drivers.

Should I hire a lawyer?

If you know for certain that your injury is a minor one that will not result in time lost from work or school or substantial medical care, then you may want to settle it yourself in small claims court. (In Wisconsin, this court handles claims up to $5,000.) Of course, insurance claims adjusters generally try to settle claims inexpensively and on terms favorable to the insurer. If you have been seriously injured or are unsure as to the outcome of your injury, then an experienced personal injury attorney should always be consulted before you give any statements or sign papers of any kind and as soon after the injury as possible. You should be able to discuss your claim and the potential fee arrangements with your attorney before you commit to legal costs.

Personal injury attorneys usually handle claims on a “contingent” or percentage basis depending on the type, difficulty, and expense of the case. Contingent fees can range from 20 percent for worker’s compensation claims to as much as 40 percent for difficult or complex cases. Contingent fee agreements must be in writing and include provisions for out-of-pocket expenses, which typically are paid by the attorney but paid back from any recovery, in addition to the fee for the attorney?s services.

How long do I have to decide?

The law requires you to settle your claim, start a lawsuit, or give special notice within limited times after the injury. The time you have to take action depends on the person or entity that caused your accidental injury. Some Wisconsin statutes of limitation and notice requirements illustrate the complexity and variety of these rules:

  • Injury generally – 3 years
  • Claims against city/county/school employee – 120 days
  • Claims against state employed physicians – 180 days
  • Claims under a fire insurance policy – 1 year
  • Worker’s compensation claim – 2 years notice to employer, 12 years to file claim.

If you have any doubt about the statute of limitations or notice required you should consult an attorney. Other states may have shorter or more stringent limitations.

What is my claim worth?

A claim is valued and usually settled based upon an estimate of what a jury would likely regard as fair and reasonable compensation given the severity of the injury and the effects of the accident on your life, as well as the probability that a recovery against the wrongdoer is warranted. In addition to medical expense and wage loss, you are entitled to money damages for “personal injuries,” including pain, suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. Your attorney may point out additional damages authorized in special cases such as dog bites or flagrant misconduct.

Severe injuries requiring substantial medical treatment, extended absences from work, and permanent physical or mental impairments may command substantial compensation. Juries tend to believe that injuries that cannot be seen or demonstrated objectively are susceptible to exaggeration by the party seeking money damages, and insurance claim personnel tend to appreciate that fact.

When it comes time to settle a claim, both sides should have a clear “before and after” picture of the injuries and how they have affected the victim’s life. The “difference” is the value of the claim. For example, a previously healthy, productive, young worker injured severely by an obviously culpable defendant will demand substantial compensation, especially where the victim has undergone substantial medical care, extended loss of earnings, and is facing a future of impaired earning capacity, disfigurement, pain, and suffering. On the other hand, the claim of an older person injured in questionable circumstances resulting in complaints that can be established only by the word of the claimant may be substantially discounted both by a jury and a claims adjuster.

If the injured person is found partially at fault for the accident causing the injury, then the amount of damages will be proportionately
reduced; likewise, if there is a substantial chance that the claim will not succeed for any reason, then any pretrial settlement will be reduced in most instances.

How and when will my claim be settled?

If the person responsible for your injury has insurance, an insurance adjuster will gather and try to verify the necessary medical treatment records, medical expense, and wage loss information and what permanent impairments have been caused by the accident. If the insurance company makes an offer that you (and your attorney) find acceptable, then the claim process is over. If no acceptable offer is made, then you may file a lawsuit. During the early months after a lawsuit has been filed, both sides can conduct depositions and other “discovery” to obtain more detailed and exacting proof about the nature of the claim.

As the trial date approaches, both the claimant and the insurance company usually take a closer look at the elements of the claim and available evidence to support it, and may try to settle the matter by informal discussion, mediation or pretrial conferences with the judge. Although about 95 percent of injury claims settle before trial, one cannot know in advance which claims will require a trial before a judge or jury for resolution. Once a claim is put in suit, it typically takes six to 18 months to resolve.

This is one in a series of consumer information pamphlets sponsored by the State Bar of Wisconsin. This pamphlet, which is based on Wisconsin law, is issued to inform and not to advise. No person should ever apply or interpret any law without the aid of a trained expert who knows the facts, because the facts may change the application of the law.

Other titles include: Arrest; Bankruptcy; Buying/Selling Residential Real Estate; Choosing a Process for Divorce; Custody and Placement; Durable Powers of Attorney; Divorce; Guardians Ad Litem in Family Court; Health Care; Hiring/Working with a Lawyer; Landlord/Tenant Law; Marital Property; Personal Injury; Probate; Revocable Living Trusts; Small Claims Court; Starting a Business; Traffic Accidents; Wills/Estate Planning.

2/10. © State Bar of Wisconsin

Please contact us with your personal injury questions.

Car Accidents and Attorneys – When to Contact

Auto Accidents

Do I need to contact an attorney after a car accident?

Generally speaking, it depends on what happened and what injuries were suffered, and to whom. If you and your family members have not been hurt, the answer is probably no. If you or anyone you care about has been injured in the car accident, especially if there is any permanent injury, or significant time is lost from work or school or household duties, then you’ll want to see a lawyer about possibly representing you in a claim against anyone else who may be responsible for your injuries. However, even if you’re not injured, don’t entirely rule it out as the facts and circumstances surrounding car accidents are always different. It is important to look at the degree of the car accident and use your best judgment. A simple fender bender where no occupants are hurt can usually be appropriately handled through your insurer. Anything other than that deserves a bit more thought – especially in this litigious environment.

When to run to an attorney and when to walk. Contacting an attorney who deals with personal injury (especially relating to auto accidents) can provide you with the peace of mind that no stone gets left unturned. Here are some tips for when you should run to an attorney and when you can just walk:

Run to an attorney when:

  • An injury has occurred where there has been serious injury (broken bones / hospitalization) or where injuries are likely to be permanent (paralysis);
  • A death has resulted from the accident;
  • Fault is clearly an issue;
  • Other parties were involved such as pedestrians or other autos;
  • The accident occurred in a construction area;
  • A police report does not accurately describe the accident and puts you at fault;
  • Important technical, legal or medical issues are involved;
  • The limits of your liability insurance are low,
  • You have no insurance,, or your insurance company suggests that you did not pay your premium.
  • Your insurer starts “acting funny.”
  • Your insurer involves its own attorney (in this case, sprint!).

Walk to an attorney when:

  • Seeking advice on the settlement value of a claim (while not an exact science, attorneys may be able to provide best and worse case scenarios);
  • Unsure if other insurance (homeowners, travel, etc.) may be available;
  • Fault may be an issue;
  • Determining whether your insurer may be acting in bad faith (not looking out for your best interests);
  • Seeking information on how to handle negotiations with an insurer;
  • You don’t know your rights;
  • Confused over the terms of your policy;
  • Needing an expert to review confusing paperwork or forms.

Please contact us regarding any questions concerning a car accident or auto insurance.